[petsc-users] Accessing Vector's ghost values

Bojan Niceno bojan.niceno at psi.ch
Thu Feb 23 12:05:26 CST 2012

Dear Matthew,

thank you for your response.  When I use VecCreateGhost, I get the
following:

[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation,
probably memory access out of range
[0]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
[0]PETSC ERROR: or see
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/faq.html#valgrind[0]PETSC
ERROR: or try http://valgrind.org on GNU/linux and Apple Mac OS X to
find memory corruption errors
[0]PETSC ERROR: likely location of problem given in stack below
[0]PETSC ERROR: ---------------------  Stack Frames
------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Note: The EXACT line numbers in the stack are not available,
[0]PETSC ERROR:       INSTEAD the line number of the start of the function
[0]PETSC ERROR:       is given.
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] PetscCommDuplicate line 140 src/sys/objects/tagm.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] PetscHeaderCreate_Private line 30
src/sys/objects/inherit.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] VecCreate line 32 src/vec/vec/interface/veccreate.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] VecCreateGhostWithArray line 567
src/vec/vec/impls/mpi/pbvec.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] VecCreateGhost line 647 src/vec/vec/impls/mpi/pbvec.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Signal received!
[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.2.0, Patch 6, Wed Jan 11
09:28:45 CST 2012
[0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/changes/index.html for recent updates.
[0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/faq.html for hints about trouble shooting.
[0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/index.html for manual pages.
[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: ./PSI-Flow on a arch-linu named lccfd06 by niceno Thu
Feb 23 19:02:45 2012
[0]PETSC ERROR: Libraries linked from
/homecfd/niceno/PETSc-3.2-p6/arch-linux2-c-debug/lib
[0]PETSC ERROR: Configure run at Fri Feb 10 10:24:13 2012
[0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options
[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: User provided function() line 0 in unknown directory
unknown file

I don't understand what could be causing it.  I took very good care to
match the global numbers of ghost cells when calling VecCreateGhost

     Kind regards,

     Bojan