[petsc-users] Multigrid as a preconditioner

coco at dmi.unict.it coco at dmi.unict.it
Fri Feb 17 06:38:24 CST 2012

Thank you very much for the answer, but some other doubts remain.

> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:39:11 -0600
> From: Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [petsc-users] Multigrid as a preconditioner
> To: PETSc users list <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM, <coco at dmi.unict.it> wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I would like to parallelize a multigrid code by Petsc. I do not want to
>> use the DMMG infrastructure, since it will be replaced in the next PETSc
>> release. Therefore I preferred to use the multigrid as a preconditioner. In
>> practice, I use the Richardson iteration, choosing the same matrix of the
>> linear system as a preconditioner, so that I think the Richardson iteration
>> should converge in only one iteration, and effectively it is like solving
>> the whole linear system by the multigrid.
>>

> Your understanding of the Richardson iteration is flawed. You can consult
> Yousef Saad's book for the standard definition and anaysis.

I think my explanation was not so clear. What I would like to do is to
use a preconditioned Richardson iteration:

x^(n+1) = x^n + P^(-1) (f-A x^n)

Choosing P=A, I should expect to obtain the exact solution at the
first iteration. Then, the whole linear system is solved by the
preconditioner method that I chose. Is it what Petsc would do?

>> As a first test, I tried to use a one-grid multigrid (then not a truly
>> multigrid). I just set the coarse solver (by a standard KSPSolve), and it
>> should be enough, because the multigrid starts already from the coarsest
>> grid and then it does not need the smoother and the transfer operators.
>> Unfortunately, the iteration scheme (which should be the Richardson
>> scheme) converges with a reason=4 (KSP_CONVERGED_ITS) to a wrong solution.
>> On the other hand, if I solve the whole problem with the standard KSPSolve
>> (then withouth setting the multigrid as a preconditioner ...), it converges
>> to the right solution with a reason=2.
>>

> Yes, give Richardson many more iterations, -ksp_max_it.
>
>    Matt

I tried, but unfortunately nothing changed.
Another strange phenomen is that, even with the standard KSP solver
(which provides the right solution), if I use the flag -ksp_monitor,
nothing is displayed. Is that an indicator of some troubles?

Thank you in advance.
Armando