[petsc-users] ParMETIS_V3_PartGeomKway

Mohammad Mirzadeh mirzadeh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 03:38:45 CST 2012

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if there is any implementation
for ParMETIS_V3_PartGeomKway()? All I can find is the implementation for
ParMETIS_V3_PartKway and I'm wondering if including the vertex positions
could help me get a better partitioning?

Also I have a general question. Is minimizing number of edge cuts
essentially the same as minimizing communication? I understand that they
are related, but communication is proportional to the number of ghost
points which is not exactly equal (its actually less than) to the number of
edge cuts. So then is it possible that this could actually result in larger
number of ghost points, at least for some of processors?

Thanks,
Mohammad