[petsc-users] Null space of discrete Laplace with periodic boundary conditions

Thomas Witkowski thomas.witkowski at tu-dresden.de
Tue Feb 14 09:20:23 CST 2012

I discretize the Laplace operator (using finite element) on the unit
square equipped with periodic boundary conditions on all four edges. Is
it correct that the null space is still constant? I wounder, because
when I run the same code on a sphere (so a 2D surface embedded in 3D),
the resulting matrix is non-singular. I thought, that both cases should
be somehow equal with respect to the null space?

Thomas