[petsc-users] MG on fieldsplit

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 2 11:32:05 CST 2012

Geometric multigrid needs more information than algebraic multigrid. It's a
fact or life. In exchange, it can often be more efficient.

You likely notice that algebraic multigrid applied directly to the Stokes
problem fails, so you need to do more anyway. If you are happy with the
performance of using FieldSplit and applying BoomerAMG (or PCGAMG, or PCML)
to the viscous (velocity-velocity) part, then use that. If you aren't happy
with it, then try other methods, but some of those will need more
information.