[petsc-users] Field split questions

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 13:19:19 CDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Colin McAuliffe <cjm2176 at columbia.edu>wrote:
>
>> Im getting segmentation faults when I call PetscSectionSetChart, gdb is
>> telling me this:
>>
>> Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
>> Reason: 13 at address: 0x0000000000000000
>> 0x00000001005f9585 in PetscTrFreeDefault (aa=0x4008000000000000,
>> line=296, function=0x1016bd470 "PetscSectionSetChart",
>>     file=0x1016bcbb8 "/Users/christina/Desktop/**
>> COLIN/Work/petsc-dev/src/vec/**vec/impls/seq/vsection.c",
>> dir=0x1016bca50 "")
>>     at /Users/christina/Desktop/**COLIN/Work/petsc-dev/src/sys/**
>> memory/mtr.c:279
>> 279       if (head->classid != CLASSID_VALUE) {
>> (gdb) ba
>> #0  0x00000001005f9585 in PetscTrFreeDefault (aa=0x4008000000000000,
>> line=296, function=0x1016bd470 "PetscSectionSetChart",
>>     file=0x1016bcbb8 "/Users/christina/Desktop/**
>> COLIN/Work/petsc-dev/src/vec/**vec/impls/seq/vsection.c",
>> dir=0x1016bca50 "")
>>     at /Users/christina/Desktop/**COLIN/Work/petsc-dev/src/sys/**
>> memory/mtr.c:279
>> #1  0x000000010075120b in PetscSectionSetChart (s=0x102e06910, pStart=1,
>> pEnd=0)
>>     at /Users/christina/Desktop/**COLIN/Work/petsc-dev/src/vec/**
>> vec/impls/seq/vsection.c:296
>> #2  0x00000001006e99f3 in petscsectionsetchart_ (s=0x7fff5fbfee38,
>> pStart=0x10165bc1c, pEnd=0x10165bc18, __ierr=0x7fff5fbfee4c)
>>     at /Users/christina/Desktop/**COLIN/Work/petsc-dev/src/vec/**
>> vec/impls/seq/ftn-auto/**vsectionf.c:148
>> #3  0x0000000100020c4c in setfs_ (fsind=<value temporarily unavailable,
>> due to optimizations>,
>>     numfields=<value temporarily unavailable, due to optimizations>) at
>> umacr8.F:96
>>

> It looks like you never create the PetscSection in the call above. Can you
> send the code?
>

>> Also, calling:
>>
>>       call PetscSectionCreate(PETSC_COMM_**WORLD,sec,ierr)
>>       call PetscSectionGetChart(sec,**pStart,pEnd,ierr)
>>
>> returns pStart = 1 and pEnd = 0. Shouldn't PetscSectionCreate set pStart
>> and pEnd to -1 and -1?
>>

> Yes, that is true. I will create a Fortran example to check this.

Okay, there was a bug in the Fortran stub generation for this type. I have
pushed a fix for this. In order to
get these to rebuild, you need to

  rm $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/bin/bfort
  rm -rf $PETSC_DIR/externalpackages/sowing*
  cd $PETSC_DIR
  cd externalpackages
  hg clone http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/externalpackages/sowing-1.1.16/
  ./$PETSC_ARCH/conf/reconfigure-$PETSC_ARCH.py

Then you can run src/vec/vec/examples/tests/ex40f90.F

  Thanks

    Matt