[petsc-users] MatMatSolve in sequential call

Jack Poulson jack.poulson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 18:46:16 CDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Jack Poulson <jack.poulson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Jack Poulson <jack.poulson at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> I was wrong, this is not nonsense. However, for curl curl the null space
>>> grows with matrix dimension, and
>>> as far as I can tell from the slides, the null space determination is
>>> not scalable (Jack correct me if I am wrong).
>>> Also, they gave no timings, so I suspect null space determination is
>>> slow.
>>>
>>> I don't think any other LU we have will do this, so if you have null
>>> spaces you are stuck with MUMPS.
>>>
>>>     Matt
>>>

>> It's not something that I've studied in detail, but I believe that it
>> isn't that the behavior will not be that different from "difficult"
>> nonsingular cases (i.e., where a large number of pivots do not satisfy the
>> thresholding condition and must be delayed to the parent front). If the
>> null space is large, then I would expect this to impact performance
>> significantly. I would expect it to make load balancing much more
>> difficult. In practice, this might lead to nonscalability, as it is
>> sophisticated algorithm.
>>
>> Jack
>>

> Please ignore the atrocity that was my attempt at a first sentence in the
> previous email: the point is that the delayed pivot mechanism is also used
> within the standard threshold pivoted LU factorization.
>
> Jack

Hmmm, I just noticed that slide 25 says that (at least in 2010) the root
node is processed sequentially in order to handle nontrivial nullspaces. I
would contact the developers, but the description of ICNTL(24) on pg. 29 of
the most recent manual (http://mumps.enseeiht.fr/doc/userguide_4.10.0.pdf)
makes it seem that the root node must still be factored sequentially if an
exact zero pivot is detected.

This will certainly limit the parallelism, as the computational complexity
of factoring the root node is usually essentially the same as factoring the
entire problem.

Jack