[petsc-users] How to use AD for unstructured grid

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 19 13:26:19 CDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM, behzad baghapour <
behzad.baghapour at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> I need to evaluate Jacobian matrix using an AD tool. I read from the Petsc
> manual that it can only work with structured grid via DMMG interface. Is
> there a possible way to use it for unstructured grid and set it for KSP
> structure?

ADIC has not been supported for a long time so the "automatic" AD support
in PETSc is no longer supported either. Unfortunately, the successors to
ADIC, while more "capable", are much more involved to build and to use.

You have always been able to use any AD tool internally to define the
Jacobian (in assembled or unassembled form).