[petsc-users] GAMG setup scalability

Mark F. Adams mark.adams at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 17 09:50:36 CDT 2012

Yes John, the GAMG setup is not great.  So we know there are problems.  We do have a new staff person that will be working on matrix product methods soon.  Matrix products are hard to make fast and GAMG setup relies on them quite a bit.

A few things to note:

1) This is in the mesh setup phase, so many applications can amortize this cost.  (MatPtAP is a "matrix" setup cost and so it is amortized for linear problems or non-full Newton solves, but not for full nonlinear solves).

2) You do not seem to be smoothing (-pc_gamg_agg_nsmooths 1), this is very useful for elliptic operators but uses a MatMatMult (so it gets worse).

3) This test is getting less than 2x speedup in KSPSolve for 8x processors.  So this problem looks hard: small or poorly partitioned, and not in the range of where we want people to run to get good performance.

4) I have found that the setup times are about twice that of ML, which uses a similar algorithm, and about 5x slower than hypre, which uses a very different algorithm.  So if you can not amortize theses setup costs then ML or hypre would probably work better for you.

Mark