[petsc-users] Strange behavior of MatLUFactorNumeric()

Jinquan Zhong jzhong at scsolutions.com
Tue Aug 14 17:26:39 CDT 2012

Dear PETSc folks,

I have a strange observation on using MatLUFactorNumeric() for dense matrices at different order N.  Here is the situation I have:

1.       I use ./src/mat/tests/ex137.c as an example to direct PETSc in selecting superLU-dist and mumps.  The calling sequence is

MatGetOrdering(A,…)

MatGetFactor(A,…)

MatLUFactorSymbolic(F, A,…)

MatLUFactorNumeric(F, A,…)

MatSolve(F,b,x)

2.       I have three dense matrices A at three different dimensions: N=75, 2028 and 21180.

3.       The calling sequence works for N=75 and 2028.  But when N=21180, the program hanged up when calling MatLUFactorNumeric(…).  Seemed to be a segmentation fault with the following error message:

[1]PETSC ERROR: Signal received!

Does anybody have similar experience on that?

Thanks a lot!

Jinquan