[petsc-users] Configure error

Fabio fabio.pinna.2006 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 18:18:26 CDT 2012

I followed your advice and I installed the binary version of MPICH for
win 32 bit.
Than I prepared the envirnmental variable with
PETSC_DIR=`pwd`; export PETSC_DIR

then in the petsc directory

./config/configure.py --with-cc='win32fe cl' --with-fc='win32fe f90'
--download-f-blas-lapack --with-mpi-dir=/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files\
\(x86\)/MPICH2

and I got the error

"C compiler you provided -with-cc win32fe cl does not work"

Part of the log look like this

sh: /cygdrive/d/Workspace/PETSc/petsc-2.3.3-p13/bin/win32fe/win32fe cl
-c -o conftest.o   conftest.c
Executing: /cygdrive/d/Workspace/PETSc/petsc-2.3.3-p13/bin/win32fe/win32fe
cl -c -o conftest.o   conftest.c
sh: Warning: win32fe: Path Not Found: C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1.0\SharedIDE\BIN

conftest.c

sh: /cygdrive/d/Workspace/PETSc/petsc-2.3.3-p13/bin/win32fe/win32fe cl
-c -o conftest.o   conftest.c
Executing: /cygdrive/d/Workspace/PETSc/petsc-2.3.3-p13/bin/win32fe/win32fe
cl -c -o conftest.o   conftest.c
sh: Warning: win32fe: Path Not Found: C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1.0\SharedIDE\BIN

conftest.c

                                          Pushing language C
                                          Popping language C
                                          Pushing language Cxx
                                          Popping language Cxx
                                          Pushing language FC
                                          Popping language FC
                  Pushing language C
                  Popping language C
sh: /cygdrive/d/Workspace/PETSc/petsc-2.3.3-p13/bin/win32fe/win32fe cl
 -o conftest.exe     conftest.o
Executing: /cygdrive/d/Workspace/PETSc/petsc-2.3.3-p13/bin/win32fe/win32fe
cl  -o conftest.exe     conftest.o
sh: Warning: win32fe: Path Not Found: C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1.0\SharedIDE\BIN

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'kernel32.lib'

Possible ERROR while running linker:  output: Warning: win32fe: Path
Not Found: C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1.0\SharedIDE\BIN

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'kernel32.lib'

ret = 512

so it look like a directory problem, but the installation is standard,
maybe I cannot use it with MS Visual C++ 2008 Express?
Thank you for your time.
Fabio