[petsc-users] Why does GPU solve the large sparse matrix equations only a little faster than CPU?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 08:44:02 CDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Xiangze Zeng <zengshixiangze at 163.com> wrote:

> After I rerun with "deugging=no", the CPU takes 30 minutes, GPU 22
> minutes, a little better than before. The attachment are the output of
> -log_summary.

1) Notice how the PCApply takes most of the time, so MatMult is not very
important

2) In g_log_3, notice that every time your PC is called, the vector is
pulled from the GPU to the CPU.
    This means we do not support that PC on the GPU

There is a restriction on PCs since not many are coded for the GPU.
Only PCJACOBI, PCSACUSP, PCSACUSPPOLY, and PCAINVCUSP
work there, see http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/features/gpus.html.

   Matt