[petsc-users] error in petsc-dev

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 30 20:05:32 CDT 2012

On Apr 30, 2012, at 6:57 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Mohammad Mirzadeh <mirzadeh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick question. Following petsc-dev/src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex2.c, it seems that I need to call both MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation and MatSeqAIJSetPreallocation to be able to preallocate for both MPI and Seq matrices. Does petsc automatically chose the relevant function when the code is run in serial and parallel?

    Yes, it uses the relevant one and ignores any not relevant.

    This is a common trick in PETSc. You can think of the calls as methods specific to a particular subclass of the Mat class. PETSc automatically uses all the methods that are appropriate for the particular subclass and ignores all the other ones.

    Barry