[petsc-users] mumps solve with same nonzero pattern

Alexander Grayver agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de
Sat Apr 28 09:03:58 CDT 2012

This is not quite normal.

Right now I'm dealing with 0.65 million problem and it takes 15 secs for
symbolic factorization to be done using 64 cores (four 16x cores nodes).

As Hong suggested you should try different ordering techniques. Usually
metis is among the best (-mat_mumps_icntl_7 5). And also any timings is
better to do in release version (--with-debugging=0 flag for configure).

You should be able to get some output and statistics from MUMPS with this:
-mat_mumps_icntl_3 2 -mat_mumps_icntl_4 2

If you don't read MUMPS manual for that. Without any output from MUMPS
it is not really clear what happens.

--
Regards,
Alexander