[petsc-users] High Re CFD method.

Christian Klettner ucemckl at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 27 05:26:33 CDT 2012

Dear Petsc users,

I know this is off topic but the people reading these questions are well
placed to answer the question, being actual CFD developers. Over the last
five years our group has developed a CFD code (using PETSc for parallel
and vectors) based on the characteristic based split scheme to solve the
incompressible Navier-Stokes equation (2D-3D) in a finite element
framework using unstructured meshes. It is first order accurate in time
and space. This has proved effective for high resolution, low Reynolds
number complex geometry flows (e.g. groups of bodies).

We are hoping to move onto higher Reynolds number flows, with the
intention of using a large eddy simulation model for the turbulence. The
goal is to model the flow in a hospital room with typical Reynolds numbers
of 10^5. At present we are not convinced that the CBS scheme is the best
scheme for these types of flows and are looking for other peoples opinions
on alternative methods. Does anyone have any advice in this direction?

Best regards,
Christian