[petsc-users] Advice on OpenMP/PETSc mix

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 20 14:42:55 CDT 2012

PETSc can use threads or the "HMPI" approach. We are in the process of
unifying the code for all the threading models, at which point PETSc will
be able to use your OpenMP threads.

> On Apr 20, 2012 1:50 PM, "Mohammad Mirzadeh" <mirzadeh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Aron. That would work but at the cost of wasting idle cores when
threads join and the rest of MPI-based code is running, correct?

versions of the code on a single node (which has 16 cores). How does OpenMP
figure out how to fork? Does it fork a total of 16 threads/MPI process =
256 threads or is it smart to just fork a total of 16 threads/node = 1
thread/core = 16 threads? I'm a bit confused here how the job is scheduled
when MPI and OpenMP are mixed?

>>> This is one important use for OMP_NUM_THREADS.   If you're trying to
increase the amount of memory per process, you should map one process per
node and set OMP_NUM_THREADS to the number of OpenMP threads you'd like.
 There are lots of tutorials and even textbooks now that discuss hybrid
programming techniques that you should look to for more information (or you
could try scicomp.stackexchange.com).