[petsc-users] multiblock example

Jeremy Kozdon jkozdon at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 15 15:24:37 CDT 2012

Hello All,

We are considering using petsc for a new code we are developing which
involves multiblock grids and finite difference methods. I am still pretty
new to petsc (still reading the manual), so wondering where a good place to
look for examples on this is (since I assume that we are not the first to
consider this). Not sure if there is a good place in the petsc source to
consider this, one of the libraries examples perhaps, or another opensource
package.

One of the things we want to be able to do is assign different numbers of
processors to different blocks based on the work load we estimate for that
block. Currently we do this by decomposing the global communicator into a
block communicators, but if I understand correctly this is not the correct
approach to take with petsc since we will need to use DMComposite which
relies on collective operations.

Currently everything we are doing is with structured cartesian grids, but
in the future we will also need to be able to handle unstructured grids
which are coupled to the structured grids.

Thanks!
Jeremy