[petsc-users] Strange error(?) message

Mohammad Mirzadeh mirzadeh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 17:49:46 CDT 2012

I see. Well the reason for non-symmetry is that I'm using a finite
difference discretization on quadtree AMR grids. When discretizing at a
hanging node, i.e. a node that is missing a direct neighbor, I use
 interpolation from nodes of the parent cell. When it comes to discretizing
at those nodes (i.e. nodes of the parent), however, they are on a coarser
grid and will have direct neighbors so they would not see the hanging node
in their discretization. This leads to a non-symmetric discretization
matrix which I was using (structurally) to define the adjacency matrix of
the graph. I think I can fix this by requiring the parent nodes to also
have a link to the hanging node (although they are not used in the
discretization anyway)

I'm just surprised that ParMetis does not complain about non-symmetric
graphs at lower resolutions and partitions them just fine!

As for the debugger, -start_in_debugger does not start the debugger for me
:(. I'm using mpirun -np 2 ./a.out -start_in_debugger. Is this the correct
way?