[petsc-users] Binary I/O

Aron Ahmadia aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa
Sat Apr 7 13:56:17 CDT 2012

Just to clarify this a little more as it came up recently in some of Amal's
thesis work using PyClaw.  On a BlueGene/P the I/O nodes are available at
some (usually fixed) density throughout the network.  On the BlueGene/P
system at KAUST, the majority of the system is available at the I/O node
density of 128 compute nodes to 1 I/O node.  If you use a non-MPIIO binary
viewer, you are going to be limited by the network connection of a single
I/O node to the parallel file system, which is in this case 10 Gb/s.  The
I/O nodes on BG/P are relatively low-powered ppc450 nodes, so it can be
rather difficult for them to drive a full 10 Gb/s (1.25 GB/s), and they are
limited as well by the collective network between the compute nodes and
each I/O node (I believe this is 0.75 GB/s on our system).

The throughput performance of our parallel file system is limited by the
file system controllers (each controller is backed by 8 servers), which
have theoretical limits of 3GB/s each.  We have a relatively low-powered
system with 4 controllers, but that brings our theoretical I/O to 12 GB/s.
 When we do not enable MPIIO, we're limited to at most 1.25 GB/s, because
we are only pushing on one of the I/O nodes, and we can theoretically
achieve a maximum of 10% of the throughput capability of the file system.
 Switching on MPIIO eventually makes the I/O nodes no longer the
theoretical bottleneck at 16 I/O nodes = 2048 compute nodes, or 2 racks of
BG/P.