[petsc-users] question about MatMatMultTranspose

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 5 10:19:43 CDT 2012

On Apr 5, 2012, at 9:54 AM, Jack Poulson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Jack Poulson <jack.poulson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>     Parallel dense we know very little about and cannot write those routines, sadly there are no decently supported parallel dense matrix general purpose libraries out there that we can use (and no Scalapack, plapack and elemental do not count as decent AND supported) so it is unlikely WE will write the MPIDENSE versions of these routines. Though if someone else writes them we would be happy to include them. So basically for parallel dense I have no suggestions.
>

> If you let me know what your major complaints are, I'll look into them.
>
> Jack
>
> Forwarding to Jed and Matt; seriously, let me know what your complaints are. If I can, I will fix them.
>
> Jack

   Jack,

     I apologize, I was too quick to dismiss elemental. We went to the effort to do the MPIDENSE interface for PLAPACK and that ended up being a complete waste and left a bad taste in my mouth since I consider that wasted time when we could have done something else.

    So we could try again with Elemental but its a question of having a competent person to do the interface efficiently. Perhaps you have a student or someone you know that knows elemental we could hire for a short time to do an interface and see how it goes?