[petsc-users] precondition for matrix-free GMRES

RenZhengYong renzhengyong at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:40:26 CDT 2012

Hi, Jed,
Thanks for your quick reply and have a nice day.

My problem is to solve a hybrid FEM-BEM problem, so one sub-matrix from BEM
is fully dense and one from BEM-FEM is partially dense. I managed to used a
multi-level fast multpole method to compute the product of my entire system
matrix with a given vector. And I can find a quite good problem dependent
approximation B to my system matrix *A*.

My next purpose to speed up the convergence rate of GMRES using this
operator *B*.  In my code, the expensive of storage of the far field
interaction from BEM part is avoided. And I can explicitly form the sparse
matrix *B*.  So, could I ask you:
how to give the sparse matrix *B* to petsc?. Because *B* is sparse, I
prefer to fully LU decomposition to solve the preconditioned problem *B*z=c.

Best wishes
Zhengyong

--
Zhengyong Ren