[petsc-users] Scalability of PETSc

Bibrak Qamar bibrakc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:37:52 CDT 2012

Hello all,

I am using PETSc to solve linear equation using CG. I am not getting good
scalability (using the MPI implementation, not GPUs). One reason can be
that may be for my platform I haven't tuned the library. Other reason may
be the nature of CG, that it is communication bound, at each iteration the
vector (search direction) has to be communicated.

Where can I find statistics of the scalability of CG PETSc (if there is
any, people may have reported)?

Or can anyone give a number on how well CG PETSc scales on their
environment. Lets take the simple example provided in the PETSc KSP
tutorials - KSP Laplacian, 2d (ex2.c) for mesh dim of
n = 150000
m = 100

Thanks
Bibrak