[petsc-users] Petsc and HDF5: example src/dm/da/examples/tutorials/ex9 doesn't work

Jeffrey Wiens jwiens at sfu.ca
Fri Sep 23 00:18:58 CDT 2011

Hello,

I am a new Petsc user and am having problems with saving HDF5 files on Petsc 3.1. I am running the following commands:

   PetscViewer    viewer;
   ierr = PetscViewerHDF5Open(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,file_name,FILE_MODE_WRITE,&viewer); AssertWithException(ierr);
   VecView(x,viewer);
   PetscViewerDestroy(viewer);

When running these commands using multiple cores, Petsc only saves a portion of the vector. However, if I switch to using one core, the
entire vector is saved. I can recreate the same problem using example 9 in petsc/3.1-p7/src/dm/da/examples/tutorials where the following occurs:

> ~/sfw/petsc/3.1-p7/src/dm/da/examples/tutorials$ mpiexec -n 2 ./ex9
Vectors are not equal
> ~/sfw/petsc/3.1-p7/src/dm/da/examples/tutorials$ mpiexec -n 1 ./ex9
Vectors are equal

I have manually installed HDF5 from the source. Does my HDF5 install need a special configuration for this to work?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff