[petsc-users] Neumann BC for interface elliptic problem

Marco Cisternino marco.cisternino at polito.it
Tue Sep 13 10:58:55 CDT 2011

Thanks, Matthew, for the quick reply.
My matrices are not symmetric. The differential problem is symmetric,
but matrices are not.
And not only for the presence of transmission conditions at the
interface but also because I explicitly put the discretization of the
forward or backward second order Neumann boundary conditions as rows in
my matrix. Then even if I try to solve a problem without interfaces my
matrix is not symmetric. And even in this case I got problems along the
processes boundaries and about the loss of  symmetry of the solution.
But the matrix structure is exactly the same when I solve the problem
with the interface cutting the domain (always with the same
implementation of Neumann boundaries conditions) with no problem.
I can eliminate the bc rows nesting them in the discretization of the
laplacian, but the interface will always give me an asymmetric matrix.
But most of all I can't understand why for one kind of interface
everything works and for the other not.
Thanks again.

     Marco