[petsc-users] petsc-users Digest, Vol 33, Issue 13

amrit poudel amrit_pou at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:30:47 CDT 2011

This means that I will need to carry my libraries along with the program making sure that OS is also the same. Is that correct?

From: sean at mcs.anl.gov
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 18:24:03 +0000
To: petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: Re: [petsc-users] petsc-users Digest, Vol 33, Issue 13

If I configure PETSc the way you mentioned (that is, with download mumps etc), will I then be able to run the executable of my program (the one that we get out by typing make myprogram)  on any computer anywhere regardless of whether it has MAC OSX or not? Do I need to carry all the libraries with the program if I do so? Sorry for digressing with elementary questions.

No, absolutely not. There is no way to move an executable to any other computer and have it run regardless of the OS.

My original plan was to install PETSc on my laptop ( MAC OSX) and any external libraries or packages on the laptop, then compile my C program on my laptop, and then send the executable to cluster or more powerful computer around the country/national labs for number crunching. I am not implying that compiling MUMPS separately from PETSc will allow me to do this, but if your method of configuring PETSc with download mumps option will allow me to meet these needs, then I'd definitely do it that way. My ultimate goal is to be able to run my program on powerful computers and cluster.

No. Please, please rethink your deployment method.
Sean