[petsc-users] Problems when saving a large matrix

S V N Vishwanathan vishy at stat.purdue.edu
Tue Sep 6 20:51:09 CDT 2011

Dear all

I have a large matrix in a text file which I am trying to convert and
save in PETSc binary format. However I run into some strange MPI errors
when I try to save the matrix.

I have created a minimal example file to reproduce my problem. I ran it
with

#PBS -l pmem=16GB
#PBS -l select=8:mpiprocs=1:ncpus=1
#PBS -l place=excl:scatter

and it crashed when writing the file to disk. Note that if I use smaller
values of m in the code then it works reliably.

My PETSc installation is compiled with --with-64-bit-indices and I took
care to ensure that all arguments to PETSc functions are PetscInt
wherever appropriate. Please find code, output, and configure.log
attached.

Any pointers on what is going wrong are deeply appreciated.

thanks

vishy