[petsc-users] CPU selection

Gong Ding gdiso at ustc.edu
Mon Oct 24 02:56:05 CDT 2011

Hi all
We'd like to buy one more computation node for TCAD simulation.
The simulation code is based on petsc, 90% of the time spend on linear solver.
Krylov solvers such as BCGS/GMRES and MUMPS solver are mostly used.
Now we have two choise, one is based on Intel XEON E5620 (4 Core) and
the othre is based on AMD Opteron 6128 (8 Core).
The tow CPUs are nearly at the same price.
Can anyone give some benckmark about the performance of above two system?
Does petsc linear solve has performance gain with extra cores of AMD Opteron?
Thanks.
Gong Ding