[petsc-users] ERROR: MatPartitioningApply_Parmetis() ... Does not support any processor with 0 entries

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 21 16:02:16 CDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:54, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>wrote:

> The one that was downloaded automatically during configuration, which
> is ParMetis-3.2.0-p1

If I remember correctly, the problem is that ParMetis frequently crashes
when called with empty subdomains. If it was working for you before, you
were probably just lucky.

The best fix is to have the bug/limitation fixed upstream, but barring that,
we should build a subcommunicator of suitable size, migrate the graph to
that subcomm, call ParMetis from there, and migrate the new partition back
to the original comm.