[petsc-users] VecSetType and ghosted vectors

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 19 17:22:40 CDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 17:09, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>wrote:

> My rationale: I have abstracted a C++ class called PetscLinearSolver that
> is supposed to wrap all the complex ksp & co functionality in an easy to use
> C++ class.

Just a word of caution: many, many packages have tried to this, but all the
advanced users end up pulling out the PETSc objects anyway. The reason for
"complexity" in the KSP and PC interfaces is language-independent. You're
not going to make it simpler without losing a lot of flexibility if you wrap
it in C++. (If you prove me wrong, I want to see how you do it, but I
haven't seen a competitive solution yet, and not for lack of trying or lack
of competence.)