[petsc-users] question on MPI usage for PETSC + petsc for multicores

Ravi Kannan rxk at cfdrc.com
Tue Oct 11 16:24:56 CDT 2011

Dear All,

This is Ravi Kannan from CFD Research Corporation. We have been using PETSc
as the main driver for our computational suites for the last decade.
Recently there has been a surge in the multicore type architectures for
scientific computing. I have a few questions in this regard:

1. Does PETSc's communication use the MPI which is installed on the host
machine? In other words, do the transfers performed by PETSC use exactly the
MPI installed on the host machine?

2. How does PETSc handle the data transfer for inside the processor (between
cores) for multicore architectures?

Thanks,

Ravi.

Dr. Ravi Kannan

Associate Editor of Scientific Journals International

<http://www.stmjournals.com/index.php?journal=JoAET&page=about&op=editorialT
eam> Editorial Board, Journal of Aerospace Engineering and Technology

Who's Who in Thermal Fluids (
<https://www.thermalfluidscentral.org/who/browse-entry.php?e=9560>
https://www.thermalfluidscentral.org/who/browse-entry.php?e=9560)

Research Engineer, CFD Research Corporation

256.726.4851

 <mailto:rdt at cfdrc.com> rxk at cfdrc.com

http://ravikannan.jimdo.com/ ,

 <https://www.msu.edu/~kannanra/homepage.html>