[petsc-users] Avoid MUMPS ordering for distributed matrices?

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 24 04:49:15 CST 2011

>   Mumps does now have an option of parallel ordering.
>
>   Run with -help and look at the options like
>
> -mat_mumps_icntl_28","ICNTL(28): use 1 for sequential analysis and ictnl(7) ordering, or 2 for parallel analysis and ictnl(29) ordering
>
> -mat_mumps_icntl_29","ICNTL(29): parallel ordering 1 = ptscotch 2 = parmetis

Thanks a lot Barry, this was very useful to know. I now see:

"Using ParMETIS for parallel ordering."

Not that it speeds the ordering up very much... ;)

> I apologize that the options are organized in such a silly way but that is how MUMPS is organized.

I suggest to add the above two options to

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MATSOLVERMUMPS.html

or just obsolete the list of options, only providing a cross link to
MatMumpsSetIcntl() and a reference to the MUMPS User Guide.

Regards
Dominik