[petsc-users] KSPGMRESOrthog costs too much time

Rongliang Chen rongliang.chan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 12:18:56 CST 2011

Hi Jed,

Thank you for your reply.
I am using the composite pc now not the PCMG:

      ierr = PCCompositeAddPC(finepc,PCSHELL);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      ierr = PCCompositeAddPC(finepc,PCASM);CHKERRQ(ierr);

      ierr = PCCompositeGetPC(finepc,0,&coarsesolve);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      ierr = PCShellSetContext(coarsesolve,ctx);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      ierr = PCShellSetApply(coarsesolve,
CoarseSolvePCApply);CHKERRQ(ierr);

      ierr = PCCompositeGetPC(finepc,1,&asmpc);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      ierr = PCSetOptionsPrefix(asmpc,"fine_");CHKERRQ(ierr);
      ierr = PCSetFromOptions(asmpc);CHKERRQ(ierr);

      ierr = PCSetType(asmpc,PCASM);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      ierr = PCASMSetOverlap(asmpc,0);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      ierr = PCASMSetLocalSubdomains(asmpc,1,&grid->df_global_asm,
PETSC_NULL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

I just use two level method now and it is not very easy to try more levels
since I am using unstructure meshes.
I tried to solve the coarse level exactly by LU and it works well if the
coarse problem is small. When the coarse problem is large, LU is also very
slow (when the fine level problem is large, I can not use very small coarse
level problem). I found that nearly 90% of the time is spent on the coarse
level when the number of processor is large (np >512), so I want to know
which step of the coarse level solver costs the most of the time. Thanks.

Best,
Rongliang