[petsc-users] Using petsc for banded matrices and 2D finite differences

Brandt Belson bbelson at princeton.edu
Tue Nov 15 14:49:21 CST 2011

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry, I was mistaken about the dt/Re coefficient. I use an implicit time
step on the linear part of incompressible Navier-Stokes, so roughly
discretizing du/dt = 1/Re * Lu with implicit Euler for simplicity gives:

(u^{n+1} - u^n) / dt = 1/Re L u^{n+1}
rearranging:
(I - dt/Re L) u^{n+1} = u^n

I incorrectly had dt/Re on I instead of L before.

For tri-diagonal matrices, I believe the direct solve is O(N), and similar
methods exist for block tri-diagonal matrices. I know multigrid is also
O(N), but I've heard it tends to be slower.

I think the bandwidth (b) of the matrices is small. For example for a
5-point stencil (center, left, right, below, above) the bandwidth is 5 and
for a 9-point stencil it is 9.

The other limiting factor of doing option 1, with the all-to-all, is the
number of nodes is limited by nz. That might be ok, but I would like the
code to scale to larger grids in the future.

Thanks,
Brandt