[petsc-users] Small vectors and matrices

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 11 08:21:27 CST 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 08:11, markus.sons at gmail.com
<markus.sons at gmail.com>wrote:

> We want to use PETSc to solve this problem in parallel and would have
> hoped to be able to simultaneously drop the wrapper. I guess a mixed
> approach would be perfect then?

If it's performance-sensitive and smaller than dimension 10 or 20, you want
to avoid BLAS (and PETSc Mat/Vec). You also don't want to parallelize super
small problems; solve them redundantly if necessary. For larger problems,
use whatever abstraction you like. MatDense has minimal overhead forwarding
into BLAS/Lapack, but not every function is wrapped.