[petsc-users] how to speed up convergence?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 10 11:20:53 CST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:07, Konstantinos Kontzialis <
ckontzialis at lycos.com> wrote:

> 1. I use the conservative variables.
>
> 2. No limiter.
>
> 3. Boundary conditions are weakly imposed (to solve the riemann problem).
>
> 4. mat_fd_type ds is worse for the current case

It sounds like your system is poorly scaled. If you were consistent about
using PetscScalar in your code, then you can configure
--with-precision=__float128 and try that. It should remove the differencing
errors. It is very important to scale the system carefully when using
coloring or matrix-free finite differencing. It's a waste of time to dwell
on the other issues until you know that you have an accurate Jacobian.

> 5. sub_pc_type lu did a better work but not to a satisfactory level

In terms of time or iteration count? This test is for iteration count.