[petsc-users] possible development on Windows?

Alexander Grayver agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de
Sun Nov 6 08:55:53 CST 2011

Hi,

I work with Petsc both under Linux and Windows.
I develop in Fortran and it makes things even more tricky sometimes. My
compilers are those included in VS 2008 and IFC 12 + MKL's BLAS/LAPACK
for Fortran (however I started to work with petsc using IFC 10.1 and
downloaded BLAS/LAPACK using petsc configure options).
The most tricky part for me was to build petsc properly, although all
problems are directly and indirectly related to the Fortran usage. So if
you write in C/C++ I would say it's going to be easy for you. Anyway I
can share my configuration line if you get some problems.
I use VS IDE and debug applications in it. For sequential programs it is
no problems, for MPI you have to install some additional tools (MPI
Cluster Debugger and something else) and just switch debugger type from
VS whenever you want. To make this debugger working with IFC cost me a
couple of days and a lot of googling, but again for C/C++ it should be easy.
Unfortunately, there are no things like valgrind for Windows. I couldn't
find at least.

Regards,
Alexander