[petsc-users] possible development on Windows?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Nov 6 08:10:55 CST 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 03:43, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch> wrote:

> I am normally working and developing my codes on linux, only compiling
> them at the end for Windows, but need to evaluate the possibilities to
> also efficiently develop on Windows. Is anyone developing Petsc based
> applications on Windows and could share some experiences? In
> particular, is it possible to debug only on Cygwin's gdb port or also
> to use (somehow) the Visual Studio's built in debugger? Are there
> tools comparable to valgrind to detect MPI-aware illegal memory
> accesses and leaks? I heard about TotalView, but never worked with it.

PETSc's configure writes a CMake file. You should be able to change the
target to use visual studio. I haven't tested it, so it may need some minor
tweaking, but it shouldn't be too hard.

None of the main PETSc developers run Windows. We are careful to write
portable code and we test to make sure it works on Windows, but since we
don't develop there, we don't get too frustrated with non-optimal aspects
of the development environment on Windows. You are welcome to contribute
improvements.