[petsc-users] Superlu based ILUT report Zero pivot

Xiaoye S. Li xsli at lbl.gov
Fri Nov 4 13:27:29 CDT 2011

The default settings in ILUTP of superlu is "conservative", probably
with less dropping than people want.   The 2 most relevant parameters
to control this are:
    ILU_DropTol :  (default 1e-4),  you can try to set it a larger, e.g., 0.01
    ILU_FillFactor : (default 10),  this allows about a factor of 10
growth in the L & U factors.
                               You can set it lower, e.g., 5 or smaller.

I am a little surprised that you see Zero Pivot (e.g., at column 74).
Since the code does partial pivoting, always tries to pick up the
largest magnitude entry in the current column to pivot. "Zero pivot at
column 74" means at this step column 74 becomes entirely empty.
Perhaps from numerical cancellation, Or the matrix is numerically
singular?

The default setting also uses MC64 to permute large entry to the
diagonal during preprocessing.  (Hong, can you please confirm
LargeDiag is set, right?)

If you can send me the matrix in coordinate format (i.e., triplet for
each nonzero), I will be happy to try it.

Sherry Li