[petsc-users] Parallel direct solver

Ormiston, Scott J. SJ_Ormiston at UManitoba.ca
Thu Mar 31 06:57:27 CDT 2011

I need to be able to run a parallel version of a direct solver.

Is there a parallel direct solver in PETSc? My understanding is that the
direct solver in PETSc is only sequential.

If there is no parallel direct solver in PETSc, what should I use? I
have seen some people recommend SuperLU. This seems to be a totally
separate package from PETSc with its own syntax and setup. Therefore, I
must start from scratch with the SuperLU setup and I cannot take
advantage of the parallel matrix setup that I have already done to solve
my problem with a ksp solver with PETSc.  Is this my only option?

Scott Ormiston