[petsc-users] makefile of pastix on petsc-dev seems lack of flag -DWITH_SCOTCH

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 27 19:16:02 CDT 2011

  Start rant:

   We're going to need some help with this. Between MUMPS, Pastix, Scotch, and ptscotch their complicated configurations are going to drive us insane.  Just look at all the flags, strings and counter flags that have to be set correctly in config/PETSc/packages/PaStiX.py,  MUMPS.py and Scotch.py to get builds that work with each other and work with each others optional features. It is a full time job to understand and keep up with this stuff and we don't have full time. They've got to simplify, simplify and simplify, this much complication is a problem.

   We can try to hack together the flags based on partial understanding but it will break the next time they muck with required stuff for their makefiles.

   I'd really like PETSc to use all these packages easily but am really frustrated with the complexity of what should be simple installs.

   Please feel free to forward this to the scotch, pastix and mumps developers so they can help us.

  End rant:

   Barry