[petsc-users] compile petsc-dev error

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Mar 25 08:48:52 CDT 2011

2011/3/25 Gong Ding <gdiso at ustc.edu>

> It seems pastix and parms has function name conflict.

Indeed, this is the problem with forgetting to namespace. We can roll a
version with just this symbol namespaced, it would be better if the
developers of these packages would namespace their symbols.

> The function ISCreateGeneral now takes an extra parameter PetscCopyMode.
> Which value is compatible to previous version of ISCreateGeneral?

PETSC_COPY_VALUES

> MatZeroRows takes two extra Vec. Is it possible to keep the old API
> unchanged but
> use a new API?

That becomes an untenable maintenance burden (not so much in this particular
case, but code changes are already required for a few other cases). You can
check the PETSc version and provide a wrapper with the old API that sends
NULL for the last two parameters. A language with keyword arguments would be
better in this regard, but no such language is a presently viable
alternative.

> And what will the version of next petsc release?
> Is it will be 3.2 or 4.0?

3.2