[petsc-users] Solving a linear system with symmetrical matrix

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 24 07:30:31 CDT 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 5:26 AM, Longmin RAN wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> I use superlu inside petsc to solve linear systems with symmetrical
> matrix. The solving time is at least twice longer than using superlu
> directly.

   How much of that time is in other parts of the code, not the actual superlu solver? Run the PETSc version with -log_summary; the times given in the lines
MatFactorSymbolic, MatFactorNumerical, MatSolve (or some similar names) are the amount of time in Superlu. Compare those times to the superlu standalone solution time.

    Did you ./configure PETSc with the option --with-debugging=0?

   Barry