[petsc-users] Howto use pARMS

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Mar 23 09:49:11 CDT 2011

2011/3/23 Gong Ding <gdiso at ustc.edu>

> ilu is powerful preconditioner, especially for my problem.
> However, petsc only has a simple serial version.
> Hypre parallel ilu does not scalar well.
> I hole pARMS works fine.

Note that pARMS is not doing parallel ILU. To see the options, run with

  -pc_type parms -help | grep parms

This one is especially relevant:

  -pc_parms_global <RAS> (choose one of) RAS SCHUR BJ (PCPARMSSetGlobal)

note that SCHUR is nonlinear by default so you should use -ksp_type fgmres

> BTW, pastix announced it support parallel ilu (kass module),
> is it possible to call pastix kass in petsc?

That is not implemented, but someone could update the module.

Note that -pc_type hypre -pc_hypre_type euclid is also a parallel ILU.