[petsc-users] Not getting scalability.

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 09:02:12 CST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Gaurish Telang <gaurish108 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh thank you, this was helpful.  I am interested in iterative solvers, so
> what is the minimum matrix size you
> think that strong scalability will show up for such methods?

Such blanket predictions are not worth much for strong scaling since they
depend on the
architecture, interconnect, etc. What is most important is to understand the
timing output
in -log_summary and see what is not scaling correctly. Dave pointed out that
linear iterations
must also scale correctly.

   Matt

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Gaurish Telang <gaurish108 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been testing PETSc's scalability on clusters for matrices of sizes
>>> 2000, 10,000, uptill 60,000.
>>>

>> 1) These matrices are incredibly small. We usually recommend 10,000
>> unknowns/process for weak scaling. You
>>     might get some benefit from a shared memory implementation on a
>> multicore.
>>

>>> All I did was try to solve Ax=b for these matrices. I found that the
>>> solution time dips if I use upto 16 or 32 processors. However for a larger
>>> number of processors however the solution time seems to go up rather than
>>> down. IS there anyway I can make my code strongly scalable ?
>>>

>> 2) These are small enough that direct factorization should be the fastest
>> alternative. I would try UMFPack, SuperLU, and MUMPS.
>>
>>     Matt
>>

>>> I am measuring the total time (sec) and KSP_SOLVE time in the
>>> -log_summary output. Both times show the same behaviour described above.
>>>
>>> Gaurish
>>>
>> --
>> experiments lead.
>> -- Norbert Wiener