[petsc-users] In-place MUMPS call?

Jack Poulson jack.poulson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 22:36:06 CST 2011

The documentation seems to suggest that I can choose a sparse-direct solver
and factor a MATMPISBAIJ matrix A out-of-place like this:

    Mat F;
    MatGetFactor( A, MAT_SOLVER_MUMPS, MAT_FACTOR_CHOLESKY, &F );
    MatFactorInfo cholInfo;
    cholInfo.fill = 3.0; // arbitrary choice
    cholInfo.dtcol = 0.5; // arbitrary choice
    IS perm;
    ISCreateStride( comm, size, 0, 1, &perm );
    MatCholeskyFactorSymbolic( F, A, perm, &cholInfo );
    MatCholeskyFactorNumeric( F, A, &cholInfo );

but the in-place alternative, MatCholeskyFactor, does not seem to take in
choices for the solver. The documentation for these routines is sparse
because of the recommendations to use the KSP interfaces, but I need the
direct access for a somewhat complicated preconditioner that I'm working
on.

Is there a way to tell MatCholeskyFactor which approach to use (i.e.,
MAT_SOLVER_MUMPS), or, failing that, can I destroy my original matrix 'A'
and keep the factor 'F' around for solves?

Thanks in advance for any clarification,
Jack