[petsc-users] AGU session: IN34 - Robust Methods and Software for Multiphysics Simulation

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Jun 17 12:16:15 CDT 2011

For those in the community working on geophysics:
I like to draw your attention to this computationally-oriented session at
the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, California (5-9
Dec, 2011).

IN34 - Robust Methods and Software for Multiphysics Simulation

Many computational problems in geosciences, such as plate boundary dynamics
and coupled ocean/atmosphere/land surface problems, involve multiple
physical processes / domains interacting over a wide range of spatial and
temporal scales. A single discretization technique rarely suits the entire
problem. How do we guarantee numerical stability and accuracy over the
timescales of interest? Can we move beyond the common approach of using
first-order accurate operator splitting, semi-implicit / explicit time
integration methods and decoupled nonlinear solution methods? How do we make
the software maintainable and performant? We seek submissions from all
disciplines addressing the challenge of solving stiffly-coupled
multi-physics problems.

Conveners:
    Jed Brown - ETH Zurich / Argonne National Laboratory
    Matt Knepley - Computational Institute, U of Chicago
    Louis Moresi - Monash University
    Marc Spiegelman - Columbia / LDEO

Sponsor:
    Earth and Space Science Informatics (IN)
Co-Sponsors:
    Atmospheric Sciences (A)
    Cryosphere (C)
    Study of Earth's Deep Interior (DI)
    Hydrology (H)
    Natural Hazards (NH)
    Ocean Sciences (OS)
    Planetary Sciences (P)
    Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology (V)

Deadlines:
4 August - Abstract Submissions

http://sites.agu.org/fallmeeting/scientific-program/session-search/547

General meeting information: http://sites.agu.org/fallmeeting/