[petsc-users] Problem on LU factorization

Rongliang Chen rongliang.chan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 15:32:26 CST 2011

Hi,

I face a problem on the LU factorization. When I use the PETSC's default LU
factorization, my code does not converge for KSP. When I use superlu with
command line "-sub_pc_factor_mat_solver_package superlu", it said
"[43]PETSC ERROR:
[43]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation,
probably memory access out of range
[43]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
[43]PETSC ERROR: or see
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/troubleshooting.html#Signal[43]PETSCERROR:
or try
http://valgrind.org on GNU/linux and Apple Mac OS X to find memory
corruption errors
[43]PETSC ERROR: likely location of problem given in stack below
[43]PETSC ERROR: ---------------------  Stack Frames
------------------------------------
[43]PETSC ERROR: Note: The EXACT line numbers in the stack are not
available,
[43]PETSC ERROR:       INSTEAD the line number of the start of the function
[43]PETSC ERROR:       is given.
[43]PETSC ERROR: [43] MatLUFactorNumeric_SuperLU line 121
src/mat/impls/aij/seq/superlu/superlu.c
[43]PETSC ERROR: [43] MatLUFactorNumeric line 2575
src/mat/interface/matrix.c
 "
When I use superlu_dist, my code converges well, but I found that the
compute time is very high. What's maybe the problem?  Thanks.

Regards,

Rongliang