[petsc-users] Parallel matrix assembly questions

Hamid M. spam.wax at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 17:31:49 CST 2011

>   It will affect performance, unless you hope/plan to use iterative solvers there is no good reason to use PETSc for dense matrices with direct solvers. That is another world with a different world of software.

Thanks for the helpful response.

Just from theoretical point of view, are iterative solvers suitable
for a dense matrix or it doesn't really matter ?
I know direct solvers would perform faster for problems with multiple
RHS values and a fixed LHS matrix, but how what are the main factors
one needs to consider when dealing with dense matrices and various
solvers.

Hamid