[petsc-users] undefined reference error in make test

Jed Brown jed at 59a2.org
Fri Feb 25 06:25:56 CST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:18, Mohammad Mirzadeh <mirzadeh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just tried hypre-2.7.0b. That didn't solve the problem either. However, I
> just found this in my make.log file that might help:
>
> mhyp.c: In function 'MatZeroEntries_HYPREStruct_3d':
> mhyp.c:397: warning: implicit declaration of function
> 'hypre_StructMatrixClearBoxValues'

I just built PETSc with hypre-2.7.0b and it works for me. Are you sure that
you are using the new hypre-2.7.0b instead of stale files from hypre-2.0.0?
You can check that this function is declared in "_hypre_struct_mv.h", and
also check that it is present in the library using

$ nm ompi/lib/libHYPRE.a |grep hypre_StructMatrixClearBoxValues
                 U hypre_StructMatrixClearBoxValues
0000000000004543 T hypre_StructMatrixClearBoxValues

The second line shows that the symbol is defined in that archive.

Background: they intended this to be a private function, but did not provide
a public interface to zero the entries, therefore PETSc calls this private
function which is declared in

#include "_hypre_struct_mv.h"

included via "mhyp.h" from "mhyp.c".