[petsc-users] Mumps

Hong Zhang hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 18 10:00:22 CST 2011

 Joshua :

> I have been have problems using Mumps on a large (O(1M) sparse martrix) on
> multiple cores.  I first used the Petsc interface but it would hang
> sometime.

"Petsc interface"?
Do you mean Petsc LU sequential solver or petsc-mumps interface?

> Therefore, I wrote it now using MUMPS's C interface.
> The code works for one or two cores, but again hangs in the factorization
> stage using 4 cores.

Do you mean using MUMPS's C interface without petsc?

> Note:  That mumps, BLASC, and Scalpack was installed with petsc using
> --download
> Compiled using intel 11.1
>
> If anyone has any ideal, I would really appreciate some feedback.

You need figure out where it hangs. Does it hang on smaller size problems?
I rarely see hang from MUMPS.
Try increasing fill ratio
-mat_mumps_icntl_14 <20>: ICNTL(14): percentage of estimated workspace
increase (None)

Hong

Hong